St Cuthbert's R.C.

 

 

Church History

Catholics in the area were originally provided with mass by the chaplain of Newsham Hall, and later by the chaplain of Delaval Hall. Jesuits first came to Longhorsley in the 1720’s and were followed by a Benedictine Mission in 1778 which ministered to a scattered flock from a base in Morpeth.
In 1841, the Benedictine Mission established a church at Cowpen under the auspices of the Sidney family of Cowpen Hall. Marlow J Sidney, a local Justice of the Peace, established the first church in an old cow byre with a hay loft. This was later pulled down and the stones re-used in the building of a new church, (1850’s) by the Newcastle architect John Dobson.
The church consists of nave, chancel and two side aisles, with a carved panel from Cowpen Hall in the entrance way. The altar rails are of Flemish origin with a locally carved pulpit from the 19th century. The altar was recovered from a local field, and is thought to be 15th/16th century. (a remnant of Reformation times.)